Its very early days but some new research has just been published in Chemistry Europe which has shown some promising results in the efforts to find natural means of combating SARS-CoV-2, which is the virus which causes the COVID-19 disease.
Cajeput Oil has been shown to have an inhibitory capability which prevents the SARS‐CoV‐2 virus from docking with the Angiotensin‐Converting Enzyme 2 (ACE2) protein which is a natural protein in the human body and the host receptor for SARS‐CoV‐2. This docking process is the means by which the SARS‐CoV‐2 virus embeds itself in the human body and by entering the ACE2 protein cells, starts its replication process.
The main protein at the heart of the SARS‐CoV‐2 virus is the protease (PDB6LU7). This also proved to dock readily with active ingredients from Cajeput essential oil, rendering the protein nonviable and then destroying it.
The results indicate that the ACE2 and PDB6LU7 proteins were strongly inhibited by 4 out of 24 active ingredients accounting for 70.9% of the active ingredients by volume in Cajeput Oil. The most powerful Cajeput active ingredients effective against the SARS‐CoV‐2 virus are shown below:
- Terpineol – Terpineol is a monoterpene alcohol found in several essential oils such as Petitgrain (Citrus bergamia) and Pine (Pinus sylvestris)oil.
- Guaiol – Guaiol is a Sesquiterpene alcohol also found in Helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum) and Yarrow (Achillea millefolium)
- Linalool – a Monoterpene alcohol also found in Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) and Rosewood (Aniba rosaeodora) amongst others
- Cineol – A Monoterpene Oxide also found in Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus)and Helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum)
Interestingly, it is the synergistic interactions of these active ingredients of the essential oil which exhibit excellent inhibition into the ACE2 and PDB6LU7 proteins.
In case of any suspicion (either with or without symptoms), of having caught COVID-19, it is recommended that 3 drops of essential oil of Cajeput on a handkerchief or in a dry diffuser* are inhaled up to 5 times a day for 3 days.
* The virus propagates within a moist environment so it is recommended not to use a water vapour diffuser (just in case…)